Great paintings from The Great Meteoron (1)
Kostas Adamos is a talented painter who painted his deep appreciation of the Greek Orthodox faith and tradition. His paintings are a reflection of this and is displayed in the Theological Galery of the Holy Monastery of the Great Metereon.
Phew, finally made it back home to Johor Bharu. It was a long trip from Honolulu to Narita airport, Tokyo (8 hours), then a layover and a delay (3+5 hours) and then from Honolulu to Singapore (7 hours). We were delayed for 5 hours in Narita airport!!!
Here are some exhibits from the Origami Museum in Narita Airport, Tokyo, Japan
“The Resurrection” (1552) in the Great Meteoron
Some features from icon:
• Figure of Christ dominates the centre of the painting
• Christ has triumphed over death
• Christ is dressed in brilliant, radiant apparel and surrounded by a glory of light. This symbolized His resurrected body and the eternal life (undying light) to come
• His hands and feet bears the scars of the crucifixion
• The halo around his head, his radiant robes and triumphant expression shows his victory over death.
• Death is represented in chains, beneath the gates of Hades which were broken
• The two broken rocks showed how Christ entered the abyss to rescue the human race
• Christ is shown pulling the paralysed hands of Adam and Eve.
• Also Christ liberates from the bonds of death the righteous. On the left are John the Baptist, David and Solomon. On the right are Abel and two Gentiles.
• It represent the culmination of the redeeming work of Christ
A Living Hope through the Resurrection of Christ
Text: 1 Peter 1:3-5
1PE 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade–kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
Our living hope is our inheritance of eternal life based on the resurrection of Christ.
read complete sermon